- 1 Our Top Pick: Traeger TFB42LZBC 22 Wood Pellet Elite Grill Review
- 1.1 Why Should You Trust Us?
- 1.2 #1. Traeger TFB42LZBC 22 Wood Pellet Elite Grill Review
- 1.3 #2. Traeger TFB65LZBC Grills Texas Elite 34 Wood Pellet Grill Review
- 1.4 3. Traeger Grills Tailgater 20 Portable Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker Review
- 1.5 Here are some common questions about Traeger Grills
- 1.6 Buying Guide- Why Should You Buy a Traeger Grill
- 1.7 Traeger Vs. Big Green Egg Vs. Camp Chef?
- 1.8 Are Wood-Pellet Grills Healthy?
- 1.9 Guidelines for Healthier Grilling
- 1.10 Conclusion
One of my favorite ways of spending the weekend is having friends and family over along with some outdoor grilling. If you are here, you have most likely researched a bit about different Pellet grills and know why Traeger grills are a rage amongst regular grillers. I am hopeful in helping you take the final leap.
So if you are someone who enjoys grilling regularly, it is high time you bought a wood pellet grill, specifically a Traeger grill. Now I know you are asking the obvious question, what is so special about Traeger? Read my entire Traeger grill review below to find out.
Joe Traeger first introduced the concept of Pellet Grill in 1980’s. Pellet grills are a rage amongst backyard grillers because they can grill, roast and smoke all in one. Since it uses indirect electric heat, there are no chances for it to burn into flames, unlike a gas grill. It is the perfect cooking appliance for a novice chef, looking to experiment with different dishes. Which is actually one of the primary reason for its unbelievable popularity.
Although pellet grill smokers are more expensive than your regular electric smokers, they come with great convenience as they do not demand your undivided attention. Now although there are a lot of reviews online available about pellet grills in general, none of them provided in-depth information about different models of Traeger Grills. So we decided to take on the challenge!
This is definitely our top pick for a Traeger grill, due to its level of versatility. It can grill, bake, smoke, braise, roast, and barbecue. It is consistent in its cooking, making it ideal for use with large gatherings. Moreover, it is easy to auto-start and has a digital control. In addition, cleaning it is not that hard, as it has non-stick grill grates.
Why Should You Trust Us?
There is information overload when it comes choosing a pellet grill. This makes it very difficult for most people to make up their mind on a single grill. Getting back to why you can trust us then to get you the best grill? because our backyard grillers have based their unbiased opinion on these different Traeger grill reviews after months of experimenting and research on customer reviews and satisfaction.
If you are looking for the perfect spacious grill for home cooking, then this Traeger grill is yours for the taking. This is the most sold and famous model of Traeger grill in the market currently. It uses different kinds of hardwood pellets to smoke, grill, braise, bake, roast and barbecue different flavored dishes. Besides, it has a compact design that saves on storage space. It is built to last with sturdy steel construction with a powder coat finish. Additionally, it has a non-stick surface that makes it easier to clean and maintain the grill grates. Moreover, it is 418 square inches, enough for 16 burgers, 5 racks of ribs and 4 whole chickens.
- Consistent cooking results all the time
- Has excellent grease management system
- Highly stable and durable
- Its temperature sucks, during a cold weather but still works
What Makes This The Best Traeger Grill?
- Digital Elite Controller– This Traeger grill can be set easily, for meal preparation. This feature always maintains a precise temperature within+/- 20 degrees F. Besides, the LED display allows you to read the temperatures clearly. Moreover, it can make the Traeger grill cook slow and low or fast and hot.
- Electronic Auto-Start Ignition- You can start your Traeger brand grill, with just the flip of an ON/OFF switch. No need for fire starters, charcoal chimneys or matchsticks, as everything in the Traeger grill is digitally controlled.
- Versatile– Now you can smoke, grill, braise, barbecue, roast and bake using this Traeger grill. Its 6-in-1 feature allows you to cook loads of flavored food. You just use its digital control system to set everything and wait for it to be done.
Traeger TFB65LZBC is easy to use, from start to finish and can do more than grill. You can use it to smoke, braise, roast, bake, and barbecue.
In relation, it has a grilling surface area of 646 square inches, perfect for 24 burgers, 32 hot dogs, 9 rib racks and 6 whole chickens. You can easily cook the main course and dessert at once.
Besides, you can set its temperature to cook slow and low at smoke setting or have it high at 450 degrees F. Moreover, it has an electronic auto-start ignition for a quick start and can be fueled by different flavored wood pellets.
It has a strong built of durable steel, with a powder coat finish.
- Easy to use and install
- Versatile in use, with big cooking capacity
- Easy to clean, low maintenance
- Has dual meat probes for easy meat monitoring
- Very expensive for average buyers
Why Do We Recommend This Traeger Grill?
- Integrated Digital Elite Controller– This feature keeps the temperatures within +/- 20 degrees F. It makes setting the grill temperature very easy. You can have your food cook at low and slow settings or fast and hot. Besides, you can tune and read its temperature on its LED display system.
- Wheels with Locking Casters– You can now glide this Traeger grill to anywhere you want, as it comes with durable wheels and locking casters to keep it steady when parked.
- Porcelain Grill Grates– Now you can smoke any saucy rib racks and never worry about cleaning as this grill has a non-stick surface that makes it easy to clean its grill grates.
This is one of the best tailgating Traeger grills on the market. You can pack it up using its EZ-fold legs and move it anywhere for a grill party. It has a grilling area of 300 square inches and can pack up to 12 burgers, 2 whole chickens and 3 racks of ribs.
Besides, it is easy to digitally control via its integrated digital elite controller that keeps the temperature within +/- 20 degrees F. Its LED display can help you out in setting and monitoring its temperature.
As for cleaning and maintenance, its non-stick surface makes the porcelain grill grates easier to clean and maintain after a juicy grill. Moreover, it is made from sturdy durable steel and can last for years.
- Compact design
- Features a 10lb hopper
- Highly portable
- High initial power usage, 300 watts for the first four minutes, but reduces to 50 watts after 4 minutes
Why Should You Buy This Traeger Elite Grill?
- EZ-Fold legs-You can now move your Traeger grill, anywhere for tailgating. This is because its EZ fold legs make it compact and ready to pack up for grilling on the go.
- Versatile– Even though it has a relatively small cooking area, you can still grill, smoke, braise, roast, bake, and barbecue all sorts of food in it. Besides, you can use different wood pellets with it to achieve your desired flavor.
- Electronic Auto-Start Ignition- The ease of use is from the beginning, no matches or fire starters for this grill. You just flip the ON/OFF switch and your Traeger grill will be up and running, no hassle.
Here are some common questions about Traeger Grills
- Question: What kind of electrical access do I need to use the Traeger grill?
Answer: Each of the Traeger grill models requires a standard 120VAC power. For the first four minutes, each fire pot will use 300 watts for the igniter rod, but it will reduce to 50 watts per fire pot. However, for the trailer mount model, a 1,000W generator is ideal for off-site cooking.
- Question: Can I use Traeger grills indoors?
Answer: No, you cannot use them indoors as they are intended for the outdoors only. You can place it on your patio and grill, roast, barbecue, braise, bake and smoke any sort of food you want from meat, poultry, to vegetables and fruits.
- Question: Can I use any wood pellets with the Traeger grill?
Answer: No, you cannot as Traeger pellets are the preferred choice. They are 100% hardwood and food grade. Wood pellets made for home heating and other operations usually contain glues, binder, and other harmful additives. Besides, its patented auger system cannot process woodchips.
- Question: Do I need to season the Traeger grill before I put food on it?
Answer: Yes, you have to season it before you put your first batch of food. You can use the instructional manual but the first firing is essential to finish the curing paint and burn small particles and oil from its manufacturing.
- Question: How does the Traeger grill perform in extreme weather?
Answer: You will have to estimate your cook time with regard to the outside weather, as it will affect it. Windy, wet and cold weather can make the food take longer to cook, but in hot weather, it takes less time. That said, wet and cold weather in no way deters the taste of food grilled in it.
Buying Guide- Why Should You Buy a Traeger Grill
When it comes to versatile grills, the Traeger grill is at the top of the list. Therefore, here are some top reasons why you should always opt for the Traeger grill, as opposed to any other brand of grill in the market.
- Simplicity and Ease of Use– The Traeger grill usually stands out from the rest of the grills, due to its ease of use. There is no babysitting at all when it comes to using this grill. You just set the temperature and let it grill until it is done. Moreover, it has an internal temperature control that adjusts as the cooking progresses.
Moreover, it has an automatic start and large drip pans for easier preparation and cleans up. You do not even have to worry about uneven cooking with the Traeger grill, you just load the chamber and everything else will be taken care of.
- Uses Natural Fuel Type– Traeger grill usually uses a specific brand of grilling wood pellets that do not emit any chemicals and leave very little ash to clean afterward. They always burn almost completely and have varied types of flavors.
You can choose any flavored wood pellet but never use the home heating pellets as they contain dangerous chemicals and have sapwoods.
- Versatile-When it comes to using, the Traeger grill is very versatile as you can barbecue, smoke, braise, roast, bake, and Besides, you can cook loads of varied types of food like fruit pies, something hard to do with propane-fired grills.
- No Worrying About Flare-ups- You will not need to worry about flare-ups when the flames get hot or high, as the Traeger grill has an indirect heating system that prevents such an issue, thus allowing for even distribution of heat.
- Smoky Hassle-Free Flavors– There is no need to add different wood chips for a smoky flavor while using the Traeger grill, as its wood pellets are made from different sawdust that provides different smoky flavors as it grills.
Besides, you can switch flavors by switching the wood pellets. Likewise, you can check for which ones provide the best flavors depending on the food, before you use them for grilling.
- Reputable Brand-The Traeger grill has been around for years, making it easy to find any spare parts in the near future. Besides, this brand has a good longevity rating and can last for years without any issues, as long as you maintain it as stipulated by the manufacturer.
Traeger Vs. Big Green Egg Vs. Camp Chef?
There is no better way to compare these three grills than to work out their differences in terms of performance, advantages, and disadvantages. Therefore, this Traeger grill review is bound to show you just how worthy the Traeger brand is and why you should always opt for it every time.
· Performance and Cooking Process
When it comes to grilling, the Traeger grill usually uses its own brand of wood pellets while the big green egg grill is a bit flexible and uses any natural lump of charcoal. Moreover, the camp chef grill can use wood pellets and propane, the choice is yours.
Nonetheless, the Traeger grill is outstanding and the best option among the three, due to ease of use and the branded hardwood pellets are designed just for it, for flavoring and adding taste to your food. Something you cannot achieve with regular wood pellets, charcoal or propane.
In addition, due to the wood pellets used in the Traeger grill, it is easy to cook different food products even pies, something that is impossible with charcoal or propane fired grills like the big green egg grill and the camp chef grill, respectively. Moreover, it is hard to get consistent results with the big green egg grill, as some food might come out good while others will just burn. It is a great challenge to use the big green egg grill.
Therefore, if you want 100% success, even if you are a newbie griller, use the Traeger grill. It is easy to digitally control. Besides, the big green egg grill is an analog experience that will require you do everything manually, including the use of a safety glove to avoid burns.
Camp chef grill is usually compact and ideal for outdoor adventures like camping but some models of the Traeger grill are hard to camp with. The Traeger grill is usually large and ideal for home cooking or large parties and weekend gatherings. However, you can still find small compact designs of its model. It depends on your demand. Nonetheless, even the smallest model of the Traeger grill can pack a lot of food. As for the big green egg grill, it has a unique shape, like an egg, but comes in different sizes for your needs. Therefore, you can buy one that suits your needs.
· Storage and Cleaning
Depending on size, the Traeger grill is very easy to store. However, the camp chef is usually the most portable with ease of transport and storage while the big green egg grill has a weird egg shape but a bit compact depending on size. Therefore, depending on your size, you can easily store any of these grills in as little space as you want. Besides, most have wheels for easier movability. As for cleaning, the Traeger grill is easier to clean and maintain, when compared to the other two grills.
This usually depends on the size and capability of all these three grills. The bigger it is the pricier, so choose according to your needs and pocket.
Therefore, for a reliable and consistent meal/ grill every time, go for the Traeger grill. It is easy to set and control the temperatures, thus the results are always as expected. Besides, a novice griller can master its use immediately, as it is a complete digital experience. On the same note, it can do a lot more than just grilling. You can use it to smoke, barbecue, braise, roast, and bake, all through the digital control system.
Are Wood-Pellet Grills Healthy?
There is no doubt that grilled food tastes better, especially if it is done with wood pellets. This is because it retains the smoky flavor of the wood pellets. However, there are always health concerns when it comes to meals that are grilled. The main issue is always the animal fat, which burns, resulting in the formation of heterocyclic amines, HCAs. This harmful chemical is a known cause of cancer as it easily fills the smoke that permeates into your food.
However, it does not mean that you stop grilling with wood pellets. You can minimize this risk by avoiding flare-ups and over-charring the meat. If the meat over-burns then it does not only spoil the taste but is a risk to your health. Moreover, the flavored wood pellet smoke is also a risk, even though it can enhance the taste of the food. This is because it contains carcinogenic elements that are unhealthy for you. One such element is the polyaromatic hydrocarbons or PAHs. Besides, you can find this element is most processed food products but its concentration is high in wood smoke.
Guidelines for Healthier Grilling
Grilling has been associated with different forms of cancer. Therefore, it is only safe to say that you should learn to grill the safe way and that is the healthy way, as you cannot stop eating/grilling.
Here are some top guides to grilling the healthy way.
- Trim the Fat– This reduces carcinogens by a higher percentage since melted fat drips usually cause the flames to flare up, adding more smoke to the food. This combination is what leads to cancer formation in your body. Therefore, use leaner cuts of meat, with less fat for an easier trim.
- Avoid Charring– You should avoid excessive charring as food that is over-done can lead to pancreatic cancer. Therefore, avoid cooking your meat at extremely high temperatures, as it can lead to the formation of dangerous carcinogen elements like HCA and PAH.
Likewise, you can trim the char off, if the burns happen by accident, as it can be dangerous to your health.
- Marinate Your Food– You can grill the healthy way, by marinating your fish, poultry, and meat for up to 30 minutes before putting them on your grill. Marinating tends to act as a barrier against carcinogens, reducing any chemicals in the meat before it is grilled.
- Cut Down Grilling Time– You can achieve this, by grilling smaller portions of meat or poultry as they cook faster, meaning less time on the grill. Likewise, you can precook the fish, meat, and poultry in the microwave or oven then finish it off on the grill.
- Grill Fruits and Vegetables– You need to eat more fruits and vegetables, and the best part is that you can now grill them using any model of the Traeger grill. You can have them with meat, fish or poultry. Besides, HCA and PAH, do not form on grilled fruits and vegetables.
Some fruits and veggies you can grill include tomatoes, onions, apple, bell pepper, Zucchini, endive, pineapple, pear, mango, and eggplants.
In conclusion, to this Traeger grill review, it is safe to say that anyone can safely grill, without worrying about the outcomes, especially if they are using this brand. Consistency in meal preparation is everything and the most important aspect of it and that is why it stands out from the rest of the grills.
Besides, you can also check other online Traeger grill reviews. They will not have anything against it, from construction, use, and maintenance. Therefore, you can rely on these three grills in this Traeger grill review, for the best homemade grilled food.